So I’ve gotten a couple of comments lately along the lines of…”how do you do it all?” And to be honest….when I’ve read them I have literally choked on my own spit. The idea that I “do it all” is flattering but really makes me want to just roll around on the floor laughing hysterically. The internet is a funny place. I can spend 20 minutes surfing online reading blogs and pinning on Pinterest and come away with the following conclusions:
1. Every other stay at home mom gets dressed each day in the perfect jeans, trendy sweater, stylishly pricey boots, and coordinating handbag (don’t forget the jewels!)
2. Every other mom has time to clean her house using homemade products that won’t harm her children or add pollutants to the household air.
3. Every other mom is able to meticulously create elaborate crafts and write a complete tutorial at nap time every day.
4. Every other mom lives inside a house where every room has board and batten wainscoting and an Ethan Allen couch covered in the coveted grey/gold Target pillow (you KNOW which one I mean)
5. Every other mom is able to control her children. They are well spoken, polite, and always have the most clever comment to make at just the right moment.
6. Every other mom has a thriving side business which makes her enough money to take her extended family to Disney World twice a year.
7. Every other mom effortlessly raises sixteen orphaned children in her 2 bedroom house. Of course they all love each other!
8. Every other mom has dinner prepared at 6pm sharp using only organically grown vegetables from her own garden. She took step by step photographs of each of her 10 course meal which contains enough antioxidents to eradicate small pox again.
9. Every other mom is happy. All day long. Every day.
10. I am NOT every other mom.
It doesn’t take us long does it? To feel overwhelmed and behind the eight ball? In this crazy internet driven world we are more connected than ever….but hiding behind others perceptions of ourselves.
I hope above all else…when you read this blog….you just see a mom trying to get by. We eat hot dogs for dinner. Heck…sometimes we don’t even eat dinner. My kids make farting noises at the dinner table. Tonight’s conversation revolved around The Brainiac’s Science Fair idea of making a mini hot air balloon powered by hamster farts. Hows that for a perfectly placed clever remark?? My point is…LIFE IS MESSY! And it is just as messy at the Cooper house as it is at yours. I’m wagering it might even be messier
So here’s a list of the messes of our week for posterity (lest anyone think we’ve got our act together all the time!)
1. grumpy mommy on duty while the menfolk lay wood floors for FOUR days
2. teething toddler getting 4 molars and 2 eye teeth
3. pediatrician appointments for a referral to a behavior therapist to see my 19 month old who has discovered the joys of self-induced vomiting (oh, yes he does!)
4. girl drama
5. gastroparesis flare ups that have me hurling at the sight of the lunch meat in my kids’ school lunches
6. a major FLOOD in our laundry room which warped the wood flooring and ruined the ceiling downstairs
7. a broken furnace when it is 8*
8. a doctor appointment that revealed a sinus infection, hernia, and gastrointestinal infection in one visit
9. tears over paint colors
10. banishing our 3 year old to the basement to play “sword fighting” on the Wii.
Clearly, our life is messy Usually I highlight the Best of the Best here on the blog because…well….nobody like a whiner. But a good dose of reality never hurt anyone either. We’re still settling into this new life here in the cornfields. Adjusting to the lack of good shopping. Looking for friends (I’ve considered placing an ad on Craigslist…tacky or not…what do you think?) Finding doctors and dentists and hairdressers and therapists and ballet teachers and violin teachers.
But in the end we are here. And if we can look closely at this mess we’ll see that God has us right where He wants us….mess and all
You know you’ve had a long week when your Dad calls you from work in the middle of the day to “check in” with you. He called me his “hurdle girl”. He said, “you’ve always jumped over any hurdle…you’ve just got too many set up right now”. And that stuck. Life gets messy when I’m in control. Time to take the backseat and enjoy the ride a bit I think
And because I can’t help myself…a few highlights from the middle of the mess:
1. Super Sam finally retiring “Jingle Bells”
2. Dantisimo’s first 2 word phrase “Bye Bye Baboo”
3. Awana verses from little voices
4. 75% off Matilda Jane 2 hour sale
5. hardwood floors
6. a phone call from a friend whose voice made me cry
7. compassion from a doctor who listened
8. a husband who packed lunches for me
9. a mom as a best friend
10. hamster farts